Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Should you study graphic design or web development when wanting to become a web designer?

That's a solid question if you have to choose. Speaking from personal experience, I fumbled my way through designing our company's webpage without much experience in either. I would say I would have benefitted more from having a graphic design background so that my layout would peak more interest (even though I'm proud of what I've done), since there are many free tools out there that make web-design as simple as cut and paste. Programmers are always going to find ways to make complex jobs easier, but you're still going to need a fertile imagination and a background in design to utilize the tools they have come up with and continue to develop.





To draw a comparison, if you were studying to be an architect, you wouldn't necessarily immerse yourself in the computer programs necessary to design architecture at the expense of learning the fundamentals of good form and design. The programs change, but the technical skill transcends the medium used to produce quality results.

Should you study graphic design or web development when wanting to become a web designer?
Study both, they are important. Find a course that covers both topics.
Reply:yes

botanical garden

No comments:

Post a Comment