Monday, July 13, 2009

What will it take to get a job in web application development?

I am currently a pretty solid front end website developer. I am strong in CSS, XHTML, and using Javascript and have written some small scripts of my own.





I understand programming and have played with both PHP and ASP.NET 2.0. I understand most of the fundamentals of programming... control structures, OOP (Classes, Objects are an instance of a Class). I have understand relational databases and how they function including how multi dimension databases work.





I can go into most code and tweak it to change basic pieces of it.





What I don't have is specific web application experience. I want to take the ASP.NET application route instead of alternative technologies like PHP.





What do you recommend I add to my skill set so that I can successfully enter this field in a corporate position. Should I develop 1-3 websites using the technology? Should I go get a second bachelors degree in computer science? I am looking for the quickest way to get in the door.





Thanks!

What will it take to get a job in web application development?
I don't think you need anything more that what you have. Generally as a web developer the front end things won't be much use to your everyday job. Put your resume out there and be open to all offers. I don't really understand what degree you have but if you don't have a bachelor's in a computer field like computer science then definitely get that to get your foot in the door. Most companies absolutely will not consider you without a bachelor in the computer field. If you do go to school to get it, try to get a internship/Coop to gain valuable experience even though you won't be making a ton of money the experience you get more than makes up for it, plus if you can find one near your school most companies don't mind having interns year round.
Reply:Do NOT go for a second bachelors degree.





You're almost there.. you should start applying for jobs... don't be very picky when it comes for salary/benefits. If you have a choice, go for the job that gains you more experience. At this stage, this is more important than the salary. After you gain a couple of years' experience, a good salary will come by itself.





Meanwhile, you can develop small web applications for yourself, just to get more hands on experience and probably show them to your potential employers.





Good Luck!

rose garden

No comments:

Post a Comment