Monday, July 13, 2009

At 54 Should I got for Web Development or Windows Administration?

A lot of people are telling me to become a Windows Administrator but the requirement of most ad are like 3 years of experience etc.. I was thinking that maybe web development with PHP and ASP.Net might be more easy for me? I only know some html %26amp; CSS

At 54 Should I got for Web Development or Windows Administration?
Sounds like you are really leaning towards Web Development to me. I would go with what you feel is "right" for you.
Reply:I am a little older than you but been in the business for over 35 years. Yes I remember when a micro computer was a PDP 8 and was the size of a refrigerator.


I would forget the areas you are talking about and look into getting into Linux system admin and maybe Linux system programmer. Both are high demand and high paying right now. Get a Red Hat certification or some other Linux certification and employers will be knocking at your door and age will not be an issue.


The problem with getting into any windows based application programming area is that MS changes the playing field everytime them come out with a new release. Many corporations are tired of this and looking to move to a more stable platform where they can get a better return on their investment in building applications. On advantage of getting into Linux is that while there will be changes it is much like the mainframe where code is up and downward compatable.


If you were younger I would suggest getting into the mainframe since all of us old timers are retireing and there is a huge demand for mainframe techs. Both application and systems areas.


No comments:

Post a Comment